The Story God Can Use Before You Think It Is Ready
Chapter 1: The Quiet After You Stop Talking
This morning, after the podcast ended, the room got quiet in a way that felt louder than the conversation itself. There were no more questions to answer, no host waiting for the next thought, no reason to keep talking. I was left with that familiar habit of replaying everything in my head. Did I say too much? Did I leave out something important? Did I represent the new life Christ has given me, or did I just tell a long story about myself? That tension is part of what I wanted to explore in this video about whether your story is enough when God asks you to speak, because the hardest part of sharing your life often begins after the microphone is turned off.
I think many of us do this even when there is no podcast involved. We send a message, leave a meeting, finish a difficult conversation, or tell somebody what God has done in our life, and then we start grading ourselves. We remember one sentence we wish we could change and forget ten things that came from the heart. That is why this reflection on trusting God with an imperfect testimony matters so much to me. The question is not only whether we told the story well. The deeper question is whether we believe God can use a story that still sounds human.
Jesus gives us a powerful answer in Mark 5. After He changed the life of a man who had suffered terribly, the man wanted to go with Him. Jesus gave him a different assignment. He told him to go home and tell his people what the Lord had done for him and how He had shown mercy. Jesus did not hand the man a polished speech. He did not make him prove that he understood everything. He gave him something he already had: a real story.
That changes the way I think about the pressure to get every word right. There is a difference between being careless and being human. I want to speak carefully about Christ. I want my words to honor Him. But if I wait until I can tell my story without hesitation, emotion, uncertainty, or an imperfect sentence, I may never tell it at all.
Maybe you know that feeling from your own life. You finally tell someone at work that your faith helped you through a hard season, and on the drive home you start wondering whether you sounded foolish. You tell a family member how God carried you through something painful, and later you think of a better way you could have explained it. The temptation is to believe that the imperfections ruined the moment.
But Jesus did not ask the man in Mark 5 to become impressive. He asked him to be faithful with what had happened.
That gives me something practical to hold onto. When I share my story, I can ask a simpler question than, “Was I perfect?” I can ask, “Was I truthful about what God has done?” If the answer is yes, then I do not need to keep punishing myself over every sentence.
Sometimes faith after speaking looks like letting the microphone stay off. It means resisting the urge to rewrite the whole conversation in your head. It means trusting that God was present in the parts that felt strong and in the parts that felt ordinary. The story does not have to sound flawless to point toward Jesus. It has to be honest enough for someone else to recognize that grace can reach a real person living a real life.
Chapter 2: When Doubt Tries to Rewrite What God Already Chose
There is another kind of doubt that shows up after you have been given responsibility. It can happen when you are sitting alone at the kitchen table the next morning with a cup of coffee, looking at your phone and realizing that people are actually listening to what you say. Maybe your words reach a few people. Maybe they reach thousands. Maybe, over time, they reach millions. The size is different, but the pressure can feel the same. You begin wondering whether somebody else would be better at carrying what has been placed in your hands. You notice your weaknesses more clearly than anyone else's, and suddenly the question is no longer, “Did I say that correctly?” It becomes, “Why would God trust me with this at all?”
That question sounds humble, but it can quietly become a way of arguing with God. We look at ourselves and see unfinished work. God already knows that. We remember our mistakes. God knew them before He called us forward. We notice our fears, our rough edges, our moments of uncertainty, and we assume those things must be evidence that we are the wrong person. Yet throughout the life and ministry of Jesus, He repeatedly chose people who were still becoming who they needed to be.
Peter is one of the clearest examples. He was bold enough to step out of a boat and walk toward Jesus on the water, but frightened enough to begin sinking when he noticed the storm. He confidently said he would never deny Jesus, then denied Him three times when fear took over. Peter was not a polished example of uninterrupted spiritual confidence. He was a man who loved Jesus deeply while still having moments when fear, pride, and uncertainty got the better of him.
Jesus knew all of that before it happened.
That matters because Jesus did not discover Peter's weaknesses and suddenly reconsider His decision. After the resurrection, Jesus met Peter again. Instead of permanently defining Peter by his worst night, Jesus asked him, “Do you love me?” When Peter answered that he did, Jesus told him to care for His sheep.
Jesus was still willing to entrust responsibility to a man who knew what failure felt like.
That should change the way we look at our own doubts. Doubt does not automatically mean that you are disqualified. Sometimes doubt is simply evidence that you understand the weight of what you are carrying. A parent wonders whether they are raising their children well enough because the responsibility matters to them. Someone caring for an aging parent lies awake wondering whether they are making the right decisions because they love that person. A worker entrusted with leading others sometimes drives home replaying a decision because they know their choices affect real lives. Responsibility often produces questions.
The danger comes when those questions convince us to stop doing what God has placed in front of us.
There is a practical way to handle that. Instead of asking whether you feel qualified enough, look at the next faithful thing you can do. If someone needs encouragement, encourage them. If you have a story about what Christ has done in your life, tell it honestly. If you said something imperfectly yesterday, learn from it without turning the mistake into an identity. If you realize that you could explain something more clearly next time, then explain it more clearly next time. Growth does not require shame. It requires willingness.
I think that is where many people lose their confidence. They assume that being used by God means eventually reaching a point where they no longer feel uncertain. But I am not sure that is the picture Jesus gives us. He gives us people who keep following. They learn. They stumble. They ask questions. They misunderstand things. They grow. They continue walking.
Maybe that is what we need to give ourselves permission to do.
When I wonder whether God made a mistake by putting my words in front of so many people, I have to remember that God is not working with information about me that I somehow kept hidden from Him. He knows exactly who I am. He knows the life I lived before Christ. He knows every weakness I still carry. He knows the sentences I wish I could take back and the moments when I question myself afterward. If He can work through Peter, through ordinary fishermen, through a tax collector, and through people who sometimes struggled to understand what Jesus was telling them, then my imperfections are not shocking news to Him.
Neither are yours.
The goal is not to become comfortable with every weakness or excuse every mistake. Following Christ means allowing Him to change us. It means becoming more loving, truthful, patient, humble, courageous, and faithful. But transformation is different from pretending we were already finished before God could use us.
Sometimes the person who needs your story does not need a flawless person speaking from a perfect life. They may need someone who can say, “I have been afraid too. I have made mistakes too. I have wondered whether I was enough too. But Jesus met me there, and I kept following Him.”
That kind of honesty creates a doorway.
Someone listening to my story may not remember every detail I told on a podcast. They may not remember which year something happened or exactly how I explained one particular moment. But perhaps they will remember that Christ can change a life. Maybe they will hear something familiar in my failures. Maybe they will recognize their own questions inside mine. Maybe one person who assumed they had gone too far will begin wondering whether Jesus could still be calling them home.
If that happens, then the story did not need to be perfect.
It needed to be available.
Chapter 3: Let God Carry the Part You Cannot Control
Later in the day, life moves on. The phone rings. Work needs attention. Dinner has to be figured out. There are messages waiting and responsibilities that did not disappear because you spent part of the morning talking about your life. Yet somewhere in the back of your mind, that conversation may still be playing. You wonder how people received it. You wonder whether the right person heard the right sentence. You wonder what people thought of you.
That is usually the point where we have to surrender something we were never meant to control.
Jesus taught His followers to be faithful, but He never taught them that they could control every response. Some people listened to Him and followed. Some walked away. Some misunderstood Him. Some opposed Him. Even perfect truth spoken by Jesus Himself did not produce the same reaction in every person.
That takes a tremendous weight off our shoulders.
My responsibility is not to control how everyone responds to my story. My responsibility is to tell the truth, point people toward Christ, treat people with love, and keep becoming the person Jesus is teaching me to become. After that, I have to let God work in places I cannot see.
The same is true for you. Maybe you encouraged someone and they barely responded. Maybe you apologized and are waiting to see whether the relationship changes. Maybe you shared your faith with a friend and have no idea whether the conversation mattered. Maybe you have been praying for someone for years without seeing the result you hoped for. Faithfulness often includes doing what is right without receiving immediate proof that it mattered.
That can be difficult because we like evidence. We want the message back. We want the thank-you. We want someone to say, “What you told me changed everything.” Sometimes that happens, and it is wonderful when it does. Other times the seed disappears into soil we cannot see.
Jesus understood that too. He spoke about seeds being scattered and growing in ways the person who planted them did not completely understand. There is something freeing in recognizing that God can continue working after our part is finished.
So maybe the better question after sharing your story is not, “Did everybody like it?” Maybe it is, “Was I faithful with what God gave me today?”
If you were honest, if you pointed toward Christ instead of pretending you saved yourself, if you spoke with love, and if you offered the story God actually gave you instead of inventing a more impressive one, then you did something worthwhile.
You can learn from yesterday without living under yesterday's microscope.
You can improve without deciding you failed.
You can doubt yourself for a moment without abandoning your calling.
And you can trust that God knew exactly who He was choosing when He gave you your story.
I do not know exactly what every person heard when I spoke this morning. I cannot crawl inside someone else's mind and measure the impact of every sentence. What I can do is keep telling the truth about the life Christ is giving me. I can keep learning. I can keep showing up. I can keep pointing toward Jesus. Then I can release the outcome into hands much stronger than mine.
Maybe you need to do the same thing today.
Your doubts do not erase your testimony. Your unfinished places do not cancel what God has done. Your questions do not automatically disqualify you from helping somebody else. Sometimes the person who wonders whether they are good enough is exactly the person who understands how desperately we all need grace.
So tell your story when God gives you the opportunity. Tell it honestly. Let Jesus remain at the center of it. Then leave enough room for God to use your imperfect words in ways you may never get to see.
Your friend,
Douglas Vandergraph
Explore the complete Douglas Vandergraph Master Index:
https://douglasvandergraph.com/douglas-vandergraph-master-index/
Watch Douglas Vandergraph’s faith-based videos on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@douglasvandergraph
Comments
Post a Comment