Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado Left My Disabled Family Unprotected
I want to tell people exactly what happened to my family at Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado.
Not because I want sympathy.
Not because I want revenge.
Because what happened exposed a serious problem with how handicap-accessible seating can become unsafe when security and crowd control break down.
I am a Christian creator, a father, a stroke survivor, and a disabled man.
Because of my disability, I specifically purchased handicap-accessible seating for myself and my daughters.
I bought four seats—1, 2, 3, and 4.
There were only three of us, but I paid for all four seats because I needed the additional space for personal items I had to bring with me.
Every seat was paid for.
Every seat belonged to us.
For the first part of the evening, things were fine.
Then an apparently intoxicated woman came over and began confronting us because one of the seats I had paid for did not have a person sitting in it.
She yelled.
She cursed.
She treated us as though we were doing something wrong.
We were not.
The seat was ours.
I had paid for it.
Eventually, I asked one of my daughters to go find security.
That was already a problem.
I am the disabled person.
I was seated in handicap-accessible seating.
Yet my daughter had to leave our area and search through the venue to find someone who could help us.
When a security employee arrived, he checked our tickets.
He confirmed that we belonged exactly where we were sitting.
That should have ended it.
Instead, he walked over to the people who had been confronting us, appeared friendly with them, fist-bumped them, then returned to us and told us that if anything else happened, we should come find him.
Then he walked away.
Come find him where?
That was the question going through my mind.
Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado is a large concert venue.
I am disabled.
I was there with my daughters.
One of them had already needed to search for security once.
If the situation became dangerous, were we seriously expected to go hunting through a huge crowd for help again?
Unfortunately, that question became very real.
The Handicap Seating Area Became Unsafe
As the concert crowd became more active, people began pushing into the handicap seating area.
The area around us became more and more crowded.
People pushed up behind us.
People stumbled into our space.
Beer was being spilled.
Empty cans were being left around us.
Our water bottles were knocked over.
The ground became wet with alcohol.
People were smoking.
People were yelling.
People were cursing.
People who appeared heavily intoxicated were moving directly through a space that was supposed to be used by disabled guests.
My daughters were bumped and touched by strangers.
One of my daughters was hit in the head twice.
And there was no meaningful security presence protecting the area.
That is where the real failure happened.
Accessible Seating Has to Stay Accessible
There is no point in calling an area handicap-accessible if the surrounding crowd can simply push into it.
Accessibility should not stop at giving someone a seat number.
A disabled guest may not be able to move quickly.
A disabled guest may not be able to defend their own physical space.
A disabled guest may not be able to push through a huge crowd looking for security.
That is why accessible areas need more protection, not less.
At Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado, I did not see an effective barrier stopping the general crowd from overwhelming the area around us.
I did not see meaningful controlled access.
I did not see a security employee stationed nearby making sure the people who actually needed the handicap seating could continue using it safely.
The area became a free-for-all.
And we were left to deal with it ourselves.
I Considered Calling 911
There was a moment when I seriously considered calling 911.
That should concern anyone responsible for running a professional venue.
I was inside a ticketed concert facility.
I had already asked venue security for help.
I was sitting in handicap-accessible seating.
And I still reached a point where I did not know who else I could call.
We felt unsafe.
I did not know where the security employee had gone.
I did not know what would happen if another confrontation started.
I did not know what I was supposed to do if the crowd became even more aggressive.
A disabled customer should never be placed in that position.
This Was Not About the Concert Being Loud
I know what concerts are like.
They are loud.
Crowds get excited.
People dance.
People yell.
People drink.
None of that was the issue.
The issue was whether the venue could maintain a reasonable level of safety in an area designed specifically for disabled guests.
There is a big difference between a lively concert and an uncontrolled crowd.
There is a difference between someone accidentally bumping into another person and an environment where people repeatedly push into a protected area, spill alcohol everywhere, knock over belongings, smoke, touch strangers, and hit people in the process.
What happened to my family crossed that line.
I Was Just a Father Trying to Protect His Daughters
I have a public platform.
People know me from YouTube, my Christian writing, podcasts, and the content I have published online.
But during that concert, none of that meant anything.
I was not thinking about being a creator.
I was not thinking about subscribers.
I was not thinking about social media.
I was not thinking about an audience.
I was a disabled father trying to protect his daughters.
I am also a stroke survivor.
I live with physical limitations every day.
That means there are situations where I simply cannot move the way an able-bodied person can.
That is exactly why I pay for accessible seating.
It is supposed to reduce risk.
It is supposed to make the experience manageable.
Instead, I found myself wondering whether the handicap area itself had become one of the least secure places around us.
Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado Needs to Fix This
This is not complicated.
There are practical changes that could make the experience safer.
Protect handicap seating from the general crowd.
Control who enters those areas.
Use meaningful barriers where needed.
Keep security close enough that disabled guests can actually reach help.
Do not make a disabled person send a family member across the venue searching for assistance.
Continue monitoring a situation after someone reports harassment.
Enforce rules when people become disruptive.
Address excessive intoxication before it becomes a safety problem.
Keep smoking out of areas where it is prohibited.
And do not allow accessible seating to become overflow standing room for everyone else.
These are reasonable expectations.
Parents Should Pay Attention
I am not going to tell another parent what to do.
I can only tell you what my family experienced.
Based on that experience, I would not feel comfortable sending my children alone to Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado.
I was physically there with my daughters.
And there were still moments when I felt powerless to protect them.
That is not something I will forget.
A Beautiful Venue Is Not Enough
Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado is a beautiful place physically.
That is not the issue.
A beautiful venue can still fail people.
Great sound does not replace security.
A nice stage does not replace crowd control.
Beautiful grounds do not replace protection for disabled guests.
The true measure of a venue is not what it looks like.
It is how people are treated once something goes wrong.
Would I Go Back?
Based on what happened to my family, I have no desire to return.
If there were ever some extraordinary reason I had to attend another event at Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado, I would seriously consider hiring personal security.
That should tell you how much confidence I lost in the venue.
A disabled father should not feel like he may need private security simply to attend a concert with his daughters.
But after what we experienced, that is where I am.
Faith Does Not Mean Staying Silent
I am a Christian.
I believe in forgiveness.
I believe in grace.
I believe in compassion.
But I do not believe faith requires silence when something is wrong.
Sometimes speaking up is the right thing to do.
Sometimes you speak because the next person may not have a platform.
The next disabled guest may have even greater limitations.
The next family may not know what to do.
The next incident may be worse.
That is why I am writing this.
My Family Deserved Better
My daughters deserved better.
Disabled guests deserve better.
Families deserve better.
Every person who pays for handicap-accessible seating deserves to know that the area will actually remain accessible and reasonably protected.
Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado failed my family.
Now I hope the people responsible for the venue take a serious look at what happened and make changes before someone else has an even worse experience.
We went there to remember the music.
Instead, I remember fear.
I remember spilled alcohol.
I remember strangers pushing into our space.
I remember my daughters being touched and bumped.
I remember one of them being hit in the head twice.
And I remember wondering whether I needed to call 911.
That should not be the memory a disabled father takes home from a concert.
Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado, please do better.
The next family deserves it.
Your friend,
Douglas Vandergraph
Douglas Vandergraph Master Index:
https://douglasvandergraph.com/douglas-vandergraph-master-index/
Comments
Post a Comment